July 17, 2008

Day 17: 30 April- Figeac to Camping Pech Ibert

After two longer days of 25km+ or so, I knew I would prefer a 'shorter' day next, rather than 30km to Cajarc. Looking at the Miam Miam Dodo guide, I found a rural alternative in the form of a camping ground, Camping Pech Ibert, where you could rent just a place in a shared tent or caravan cheaply enough. In the event, when I arrived and found I could rent a whole chalet for myself for a very reasonable rate, I did that!The people in the hotel in Figeac had taken photos to illustrate a shorter route back onto the Chemin, 4km shorter without the scenic diversions through the city that most of us had already explored the afternoon before. I was pleased to find that their directions were easy to follow.

Before I knew it, I was back on the Chemin, seeing more 'beehive' buildings,
and enjoying the sight of the stone farm buildings along the way.
There was a spring shower or two en route, but real heavy spring showers waited until after I had arrived at the camping ground.
I enjoyed lying on my bed looking out the window as the rain fell, congratulating myself that I was not walking in it this afternoon! My washing dried in the sunshine between showers on the verandah on my chalet, then I finished it off with the heating in the chalet, -it was great to know I would have dry socks for the morning.
Strangely, I was the only pelerin here this evening: so strange not to have company, but it gave me a chance to reflect on the journey so far and the people I had met.
I was the only one for dinner. The camping lady kindly rang ahead for Friday trying to reach a communal gite I had failed to reach by phone. She also only got an answerphone but emphasised in her message that I was a 'dame toute seule' (a lady all alone) and I felt sure already that I would have a bed, even though it would be a busy holiday weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment